You’ve Probably discovered that bats are not really blind and that many species can echolocate (“see” their environment using their ears) but were you aware that:
1. Some species aestivate rather than hibernate? Who’d have Believed that some species of bats and snails could have something in common! This is to protect themselves from the injury the warmth can do to their own bodies and also to stop themselves from drying out. Some members of the leaf-nosed bat household (Phyllostomidae), that are located in Central and South America are believed to do so when the temperature gets too hot.
2. For a while, strange stories were Coming out of Hungary about a well-known song-bird, the fantastic tit, feasting on nerves. The stories were so odd that a group of biologists set out to the Bukk mountains of Hungary to learn if they were true or not.
3. More Bird problems for bats have sometimes come in the form of starlings. All these characterful and very vocal birds are known to occasionally evict (and even kill!)) Bats who have turned a vacant tree hollow into a bookmarking website, so that they are able to move in.
4. In a state deep in the South-east of Europe, bats have shaken off their affiliation with the creepy and menacing and instead are considered to impart good luck. According to Larousse’s Dictionary of World Folklore, bat bones are considered to be a lucky talisman at the Republic of Macedonia.
5. The inspiration for many human creations has come from the plant and animal kingdoms. Bats also have set the ingenious creativity of people alight with their wing structure being a inspiration for an innovative sail design known as the Transition Rig. Created by Dr.Richard Dryden, a lecturer in Plymouth University, this sail changes shape in response to the strength of the wind and it may also be folded up when it’s not in use, in a similar way to the way bats fold their wings.
So there you Have it, 5 rare but nevertheless, true facts about bats from Bat Removal Orlando that provide a Glimpse into their fascinating world. There continue to be lots of things to be Learnt about it and it is more than likely it will continue to be a Source of surprises.